Community.



The other day, I was walking across campus to get to work. It’s one of my favorite walks, but I rarely actually get to take it because I never park over on that side of campus. The 8am bells began to chime, followed by the state song. I briefly hummed along, as I typically do, because I totally have state pride. It was chilly outside, but compared to the last few weeks, this weather was lovely. The sun was shining perfectly on the Bizzell Memorial Library. As I walked past, I snapped a photo. I also saw two squirrels chasing each other up a tree— quintessential OU. 

I walked along the sidewalk, and suddenly, I paused. I was at the seal— the university seal, stamped into the ground. Someone told me once that you aren’t supposed to walk on it. They didn’t give me a reason or anything, but just said to never do it. So... I don't. No one would have seen me, however, I still avoided walking across the seal. As I continued on my brisk walk, I had a small revelation: I was following an OU tradition, and that made me happy.


I didn’t go here. I went to SWOSU. And no matter how many time machines they build in the future, I'll never choose to go back and change my college decision. SWOSU was perfect for me, for various reasons, but mostly because SWOSU was and will always be my home.

OU, however, has become something different for me. It’s a home away from home. It is where I began a career in higher education. After I finished grad school, I searched for a job for several long months. (You can read about that here.) In the midst of confusion and self-doubt, I accepted a position at OU. And, not to be dramatic or anything, but it completely changed my life.

Moving to Norman was one of the biggest and best decisions that I've made. It took a while to figure out the streets and I'll never understand the time schedule of the train, but I feel at home here. I’ve bought a house, made friends, and vote in local elections. I feel even more at home when I'm on campus.

No— I’ll never have that story of how Camp Crimson changed me or understand the spoon holder. I won't have the memories from living in one of the towers or be able to understand the greatness of Cafe Plaid. I don't have an inexplicable hatred of Texas, and it actually makes me sad when people say “Texas... sucks!” at football games, especially at football games when we aren’t even playing Texas. I often just nod nervously when people talk in OU-specific acronyms, and ask me if I was an SGL or in CAC or UPB or APO or HSLC or PCS or etc, etc, etc. I don’t have those shared undergrad experiences that many of my coworkers relate to one another over. 

But... I do get to relate to them on the fact that we work really hard to make sure that first-year students succeed. OU serves their first-year students with incredible intentionality. The resources that I have access to are astounding and allow me to make sure my students are taken care of. Each day I come to work and I know, regardless of if the task is small or large, I’m doing something that is directly affecting a student’s experience at the University of Oklahoma. 

* * * 

I sat on an interview committee a few weeks ago and one of the questions basically asked a student to share their favorite thing about OU. In one way or another, every single person said the “community.” 

I got tired of this answer after a while, honestly. Every student boasted about the community and the people and the support that OU provides them with. It was like a broken record, all day:

"The people!" "The community!" "The OU family!" 

After I left work that day, I felt bad about feeling so annoyed by this answer. I realized that, if asked the same question, I'd have to agree. It’s the community that drew me here. It’s the community that has poured into me and helped me begin a career. It’s the community that has kept me here. And it's community that I strive to provide to my students and my coworkers on a daily basis. 

Fast forward a few weeks: I got a new job and jumped headfirst into commencement preparation. It was hectic, but everyday was a reminder of that ever-present word: community. I have new coworkers and new surroundings... but still a community of people who help me and push me to succeed on a daily basis. As commencement took place, I stood there wearing my borrowed gown with the University of Oklahoma seal embroidered into the front. 

I felt weird to have a gown on that wasn't my own, but I realized that, though I didn't go here, I’m here now. And I help other people go here. And I help people stay here so they can share in the traditions and the community that everyone boasts about. It’s a different pathway than most people took to get here, and that’s okay.

I'm thankful for the University of Oklahoma.




Comments

Popular Posts