Root Canal.


One of the things I try and teach my students is how to reflect. To reflect on their first semester of college, to reflect on the emotions it brings-- both positive and negative, to think about the people who have helped them along the way.

I discuss reflection so much because I think it is an important aspect of life and overall general contentment. I think one has to consider all that they have gone through in order to appreciate where they are at. 

Many times we get too busy to take the time to reflect. In whirlwind fashion, months pass without even thinking of how we got there. Busyness takes over and we are moments down the road and haven’t taken much time for ourselves.

That was my summer. Busy-- So busy. 

Until today.

I was supposed to be at work. I’d been out of office for a week while in England and my email inbox was atrocious and scary and I honestly would just like to delete Outlook in general. I had a to-do list  that was a miles long with things I needed to prepare for the class that I teach. And I had two meetings scheduled, as well as a lunch date with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. I didn't have time for all the things I had to do. And I definitely didn't have time for anything that wasn't on my list.

Instead, I spent the morning getting an unexpected root canal... which led to an afternoon of recovering from a root canal. 

As I sat by the pool, (might as well get a tan whilst I recover) I thought about the upcoming school year and what it might hold. I thought of the students I would teach, the tasks I would need to do soon, and the upcoming trips I would take. Then I realized I had never really unpacked the crazy summer that I’ve had. (Quite literally, as my carry-on suitcase is sitting on my floor as I type this without having been unzipped from my travels. Gross, right?) 

I sat there and watched my blue floatie ease it’s way across the pool and begin to truly reflect on this season of summer that is quickly wrapping up and transitioning into autumn. 

This summer shaped up to be one of my most eventful summers thus far.

I sat in 8 airports.
I went to 5 weddings.
I put 1000's of miles on my car.
I enrolled 100’s of students.
And I had 1 root canal.

I'm sad that it took a root canal to get me to take the time to pause and remember the statistics of my summer. My summer was full of so much love, laughter and growth. As a sat, feet dangling in the pool, I thought about the specific moments that I wanted to savor from the past season.

I don’t want to forget the way the sand felt beneath my toes as I walked along the beach in Connecticut between Yale graduation events. My family ate the famous White Clam Pizza around a table that was way too small for the 9 of us, and spent our evenings in the hotel lobby just hanging out enjoying one another’s company. 

I don’t want to forget the way the tears felt as they rolled down my cheeks while I watched my cousin Blaine marry the love of his life in a surprise wedding ceremony, surrounded by friends and family. The next morning my grandparents and I walked The Mall in Washington DC and rehashed the details of the wedding from the night before. Rain kept the air cool, but didn’t keep the crowds from racing up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

I don’t want to forget the way the coffee tasted as Taylor and I sat along Lake Austin one morning and watched the kids feed the fish. The next evening we sat along the Riverwalk in San Antonio and listened to the mariachi band play. We finished up our trip on the patio of the brewery overlooking Lake Travis and watched the storm roll in.

I don’t want to forget the dancing at my cousin’s wedding late into the evening in lovely Santa Fe, New Mexico. This was my first first-cousin to get married, and I didn't realize how emotional I would be. All of my cousins are roughly my age, and we have all "done" life together at the same pace. I'm so thankful we got to welcome Mariah into our family with a lovely wedding, parade around the square, and reception.

I don’t want to forget the huge smile I had on my face after seeing SpongeBob SquarePants The Musical on Broadway. Or the smile I had at the end of Lyric Theatre's production of Mamma Mia when the entire cast returns to the stage and sings "Dancing Queen." Or the smile I had as I sat in the audience as Kelli O'Hara reprised her role in The King & I on the West End. (Gosh, I love live musicals.)

I don’t want to forget the feeling of touring a new country with my brother— something that’s been on my bucket list for years— and knowing I could finally check it off. More specifically, I can check off “Eat carrot cake at Three Cliffs Bay coffee shop in Swansea, Wales with Tanner.” We had the best time, just the two of us, hiking the welsh coast and eating fresh welsh cakes from the market. We trained to London and spent the next few days exploring the city and he spent the next few days tolerating my shopping.

When I think about the sweetest moments of my summer, it wasn't necessarily the location that was special but the people I shared them with.

Typically, I use my birthday as a season of reflection, but this year, May was busy. I turned 26 and was too busy with freshmen orientation to think deeply on what 25 held and 26 might bring. The other day somebody said that there was nothing good about turning 26. As I sat there by the pool, I though about it for a while and realized I beg to differ. There’s a lot of good things about 26. 

I have already had my fair share of adventure this summer, with more to lot to look forward to in the upcoming year. Maybe 26 doesn’t come with a driver's license or a decrease of insurance, but it does come with a lot of excitement. I sit here expectant of all the things that will come in the year 26.... even if it does take a root canal to get me to sit and reflect on them.



* * *

Here are some fun summer pics:





   















Also I guess I like drinks:







Comments

Popular Posts