Family Van.





Today's the day. The day when my family becomes van-less. We've been mini van people for 20 years. We have loved our time as a van family. And now, just like that, we will be the proud new owners of a mid-sized SUV. Because our 2008 Chevrolet Uplander meant so much to me, I decided to write a blog post.
Here are 10 thoughts I had while saying "Goodbye" to our beloved minivan:
1. I sure will miss these sliding doors.
The wind never catches them and flings the door into the parked car next to us. They were so easy for quick getaways. The strange button that opened and closed the doors was a sure way to confuse, but also impress our friends. And nothing screams "van" quite like sweet sliding doors.
2. The DVD player was a road trip lifesaver.

I remember when we first bought the van. We thought we had hit the jackpot with the built-in DVD player. So now, so wow! The countless strange movies we have watched on road trips have filled our van with so much cheer. We used to pack so many movies, each one cleverly picked with the whole family in mind. Later in life, we would just find a Redbox along the way and rent a movie instead of carrying around 20 dvd's.

3. Remember that one time when the electronic door got stuck and beeped for the entire trip to and from the Thunder game.

My brother and I borrowed the van to tote all of our friends to the OKC Thunder game. Unfortunately, the door malfunctioned and thought it wasn't "closed." It beeped. And beeped. And beeped. For hours. We tried to drown out the beeping with music, but I'm not sure it worked at all. Luckily, I think all of our friends are still our friends. (Or at least I think they are...)

4. There was poor AC circulation in the back seat.

When it was hot outside, there was no way to have air directly on you. You could kind of feel it on the back of your head, which really did you no good. So my family got used to hearing me complain. "UGH it's so hot." "Can I get more air?" "Can you not turn it up more?" "I'm literally going to pass out if I don't get air." "Guys I'm dying. I'm seriously dying of heat exhaustion." And then finally, "Hey Mom-- I'm cold. Can you turn it down?" I think my brother will secretly miss these moments. 

5. Car naps will never be the same.

Vans have SO MUCH room for quality nap time. I could stretch out in the back seat and sleep for hours on the plush seats. Bring a couple of pillows and it's basically like a twin sized bed. I have slept through many sporting events in the back seat of the van, and my brother has napped through numerous shopping trips. I'm sure people were concerned that our mom left us in the van alone, but it was always a personal choice. 

6. We will no longer run a limo service.

The van was our limo. For some reason, I always felt like a celebrity in the van. I can't begin to say how many times mom rolled up somewhere, I slid the sliding door open, and walked out like I was famous. My brother and I would "rent" the van for a weekend with friends because it was the only vehicle that could accommodate us all. And our luggage. And then some. 

7. The actual great traction the van had on icy roads.

Even though it was only 2-wheel drive, the van was practically a bulldozer on the ice. It has suffered through many an Oklahoman ice storm. (You know, the horrid kind that knocks the power out. And instead of a snow day, you have an ice day... Which is no fun... Because you can't even play outside.) I don't even recall a time when the van got stuck. Because it was that awesome. I think it might have even been a snow plow in another life.

8. The cup holders were made by God Himself.

Whoever designs vans is incredible. They know your basic needs and they go above and beyond to meet them. (Except on the AC, but I digress..) The thing that beats all other vehicles on the market is the cupholders. Basically, our van has enough cupholders for each member of my family to have 3 drinks securely held at any given moment. Also, they are various sizes to accommodate different cups. (32 oz Sonic drinks, small coffee thermos, water bottles, juice boxes, Fastlane Mugs, etc.) So convenient. This might be what I will miss most...
9. One Word: Karaoke.
I’m not even sure how many mix-tapes have I made for this van. It has helped me through some extremely bizarre music phases, and has jammed along through the really good ones. Whether I was with friends or just with my mom, music was always on and we were always singing. So, I want to thank the people who made our karaoke possible: First and Foremost, Taylor Swift. All of your CD's have been in the glove compartment for as long as they've been out. Next, The Broadway Soundtrack to Hamilton, The Lone Bellow, Lil Wayne, Carole King, Alabama Shakes, Sutton Foster, The Broadway Soundtrack to Les Miserables, HAIM, Sarah Bareilles, Usher, Balsam Range, Mumford and Sons, Kanye West, Idina Menzel, BeyoncĂ©, Kenny Chesney, Flo Rida, Ben Rector, The Martins, Shania Twain, Graham Colton, Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Ne-Yo, George Strait, Half Moon Run, Toby Keith, Christ Tomlin, The Broadway Soundtrack to Mamma Mia, T.I., Justin Bieber, Zac Brown Band, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, The Head and the Heart, Selena Gomez, The Broadway Soundtrack to Shrek, Rihanna, Cody Dunbar, The Lumineers, Journey, Faith Hill, Demi Lovato, T-Pain, and a whole lot of Glee. 
And most importantly, Thank You, Van, for enduring an operatic rendition of the state song of Oklahoma every single time we crossed back into the greatest state on earth. You suffered through many "YEEOW! A-Yip-I-oee-ay's" and we are proud of you.
10. I love you, Van.
You’ve always been here. Through high school, through college, through grad school. I can’t even begin to fathom the amount of laughs you’ve held, the tears you’ve felt, or the drinks I’ve spilled inside the van. You’ve been to the Grand Canyon. You’ve driven us to the family farm countless times. You've seen many national parks. You've been through many fast food drive-thru's. You’ve carried us to numerous sporting events. You’ve been jam packed with friends—old friends, new friends, cousin friends. You’ve driven over mountains, through deserts, through horrendous snow storms, through torrential downpours, through stand still traffic, and all around the beloved state of Oklahoma. (and Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri...) One of my favorite parts of the van was the fact that my brother and I had individual bucket seats. We have grown up, side by side in the middle bucket seats of the van. We have fought, and sassed, and laughed together. We've played rounds of "Would You Rather?" and secretly rolled our eyes at our parents in the front. We transitioned from siblings to best friends while riding in the van. 
Some of my very favorite memories are contained inside this 4 door van. Today, as the van left the driveway for the last time, I realized that the memories are not going with it. They are staying with me, my brother, and the rest of my family. And, luckily, we are about to start making new memories in our SUV. Even though I was embarrassed to be a van-family for a brief stint my freshman year of high school, I’m beyond grateful now for those sweet moments we have all shared together… in the van.


Comments

Popular Posts