BB.




One of my first memories of Bailey Bell takes place on the playground at East Elementary. Bailey was inside the giant tractor tire, just sitting there, and she was sad. I'm not certain, but I think that Kyler had just broken up with her and it was totally devastating to our elementary school hearts. For some reason I went over to console her, and so began our friendship. 

Our friendship has been one for the books. As I sit here recounting the memories of our friendship, my heart is full of so much joy. Though I could never retell every single detail, I want to look at the highlight reel of our lives. These are the memories that make me think, "Yeah... Bailey Bell is totally my bestie."

The first time I ever drove to Oklahoma City was with Bailey and there was terrible construction and I was scared out of my mind the whole time. We sang karaoke, though, and ate at Chicken Express and life as a 17 year old was perfect.

We once used duct tape to reattach the bumper to her black Volkswagen bug. No lie.
(It wasn't our brightest idea, but we sure were resourceful.)

In 8th grade, she would push on my classmates faces and diagnose their sinus infections. We all could've called the fact that she would one day be a nurse. (And a darn good one, too!)

In high school, we would hurry back to school early from lunch and park in a spot where the sun would shine in the front windshield of my car. If there was time, we would sit there and let the warm sun help us take quick naps before heading in to 5th hour. 

Each summer was spent sharing sunflower seeds at the baseball fields watching our brothers play in 100 degree heat. We loved baseball. And my 18th birthday was spent watching our baseball team win the state championship, while cheering loudly, yelling at the umps, and singing "Sweet Caroline" next to Bailey. 

At church one Sunday, we looked at one another and determined that we wanted to make a YouTube video. This video would be of us twirling batons. It became at Weatherford-wide hit. And we became the short-lived super stars that we had always dreamed of. (To this day, we are still mad that Abby wouldn't play her trombone in the background. But seriously... Abby, why?) 

We've shimmied through windows, eaten a lot of Barbecue Shed chicken, and sang a lot of songs at the top of our lungs. We've eaten bagels, and made prom corsages, and jumped on the trampoline for hours. We know every word to J-Kwonn's "Tipsy" and pretty much jam to it whenever it comes on. Fireworks, and snow cones, and bike rides, and scary ghost stories, and roasting s'mores, and MySpace, and scavenger hunt birthday parties, and staying up too late laughing at things that aren't funny in the morning. We've talked about boys, won state championships, and tried to overcome Bailey's obsession of having a teacup pig as a pet. 

I have literally been blessed with the two best friends in the whole wide world and I can't even begin to say how much joy that Bailey and Abby have brought to my life.
I sit here and laugh at all of the great memories we have. 
However, they haven't all been good.

I can't count all the times we have cried. We have made our fair share of mistakes. We've said a lot of stupid things. We have had our hearts broken, as well as done a lot of heartbreaking. We've bashed boys who dumped us and conspired to get new ones to love us. We have watched dreams fail. We have watched people walk out of our lives. We have had to talk straight with one another. We've had to be one another's shoulder to cry on. We have sat at coffee shops for hours talking about how growing up is the hardest thing we've ever done. 

When I think of my friendship with Bailey, I think of one that is genuine. 
One that isn't afraid to say what's on your heart, even if it's hard to hear. 
One of those where you can go weeks without seeing one another, but pick up right where you left off.
One that puts the iPod on shuffle so that we can dance.
One that runs through the water sprinklers... just because they are on.
One that eats bagels whenever necessary.
One that isn't easily broken.

Bailey gets married this week.
**Cue air horn**
I'm absolutely thrilled for her and Kale.
We have talked, and prayed, and dreamed of this day for so long.
The day has finally arrived. And I'm so incredibly thankful.
I'm thankful that Bailey has found someone to love her whole heartedly.
I cannot wait to see the venue, the dress, and the way we will all dance the night away.

But tonight, I'm fighting back tears.
Tears that roll down my cheeks.
Tears as I flip through old photos of us.
Tears that say, "growing up is hard sometimes."

Kale is a lucky guy.
Very few people are as kind or as hard working as Bailey.
Very few people can light up the room like Bailey.
Very few people have a heart that serves the Lord as passionately as Bailey.
I wish them all the best as they begin this new journey.
Lots of happiness, and lots of love, and lots of kids.
(Because, face it, I'm totally going to be the cool aunt.)

When friends get married, I have to remind myself that I'm not losing them. 
Things will be different. But good.
New adventures are in store.
Ones that involve more laughter, and brunch, and bagels, and probably even a baton twirling reprise.
(Possibly? No...? Okay.. Definitely not.)
Yes, things will be permanently different. But Bailey will always be my best friend. 

OH MY GOSH. MY BEST FRIEND IS GETTING MARRIED.

(Hey Kale, I still get Bailey for Saturday brunch occasionally. And some Friday nights, too.)


And for one of the last times before her last name changes, I love you Bailey Bell.


Just for kicks, I added several photos to commemorate our friendship.






















Peace and Blessings.
-xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts