'Til Death Do Us Part.



I didn't know this blog post would actually ever happen. After writing this, I figured I had said what needed to be said. I never knew there would be a part two.

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. My great grandma Liz passed away on a Tuesday morning, and we had her funeral on Saturday afternoon. The weather was beautiful for a February day. It was wonderful to see friends and family I had not seen since I was very little, and meet new people who knew and loved my great grandma. It was a good day to celebrate a life well lived. 

On Sunday evening, after having returned to "normal" life, I received a phone call I had not expected. My great grandma's husband of 74 years was quickly fading. Within the next hour, my great grandpa Howard joined his wife in heaven. 

It's sometimes strange how life works. 

For 74 years, they were together. They loved their three wonderful children. They loved their six grandchildren. They loved their ten great-grandchildren. They loved to travel, which apparently rubbed off on me. They loved one another, and most importantly, they loved the Lord.

In the past few years, Grandpa's purpose was to live for Liz. She had always cared for him, prior to getting sick, and he wanted to return the favor. He made sure she had quality care, and made sure that she was loved. 

After she passed away, I guess my grandpa knew his work on earth was done. He knew Liz was in heaven, and he was ready to join his wife. 

I had no idea it would happen this fast.
I had no idea we would funeral two Saturdays in a row.
I had no idea I would be listening to Gaither Homecoming music, and crying because of how much it reminded me of my grandparents.
I really had no idea things like this happened in real life, and not just in movies.
But, I do know that Howard and Liz lived a life for the Lord and I want to do that same.

My great-grandpa Howard was a prayer warrior. He would stop and pray for just about anything or anyone that he saw fit. This probably came from being a farmer. As a farmer, you have to trust that the Lord has a plan. Through drought and through hailstorms, Grandpa was grateful. When wheat had a bad season and the cotton wasn't producing much, Grandpa gave thanks. A farmer truly understand what it is like to live by faith, and release full control to the Lord. In his final breath, he was still praising God for blessing him with a farm, family and friends.

Grandpa taught me to pray, in good times and bad. 
Grandpa taught me to live with a grateful heart.
He taught me to bottle feed a calf.
He taught me that giving is always better than receiving.
And, he taught me the importance of an afternoon nap.

I can't begin to wrap my mind around all that has happened in the past two weeks. I'm unsure if I'll ever be able to.

I do know, however, that I will tell their story to anyone who will listen. 
I will tell of how their marriage was truly a covenant, and not a contract. 
I will tell of how they loved one another, unconditionally.

And, I know that when I say my vows one day, "until death do us part" will have a whole new meaning.







Comments

  1. Valerie Coats BlackwoodFebruary 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM

    Wow what an awesome tribute to two wonderful & committed Christian folks. I grew up with Howard and Liz in Lane, OK. When they visited and stayed in their camper years later, I always visited Liz. Howard was always out and about with Earl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts