Kid Table.




There's something magical about that card table in the living room at Grandma's house.
The cousin table. The "kid table."
Six mismatched chairs seated around.
We have our special plates that we've always used.
We drink out of different glasses than the adults. 
We just use plain napkins.
But it's perfect.

Oh the conversations! Those conversations that come when you've known someone a lifetime. 
Comfortable, endearing conversations that end in laughter. 
It's almost like a Hallmark movie. 
The tree, the traditional plates, all of us laughing and passing food in slow motion to the tune of a sweet Christmas song. 
Okay.. not really. But that's how it seems in my mind.

It's a tradition that I love and cherish. We gather around and eat the wonderful meal prepared for us. To some it might be a punishment, but we love our deserted island table.
We sit, as cousins and as friends, and enjoy one another's company. 

We are far enough away to discuss secret things. When you've grown up together, it's difficult to actually keep secrets from your cousins. Most years we make fun of each other's past relationships while we try and plead ignorance. It's an enjoyable experience, as long as you're not the one being picked on. We're also far enough away to we snicker and sneak little bits of food during the prayer. 
Heads bowed, eyes open, staring at each other across the table... challenging the others to eat a green bean before the "Amen" is said.

We like to reminisce on the year we all got Pogo sticks for Christmas. That evening, after all the gifts had been opened and food had been eaten, we went to the high school basketball gym. We brought our Pogo sticks, and new remote control cars. With free reign of the gym, we all tried our hand at the art of  Pogo. I don't remember exactly how bad the others were, but I do know that I was the only one left hopping around by the end of the night and they had moved on to the cars. With a bit of balance and a little patience, I became a master at the Pogo Stick. To this day, I occasionally pull it out of the garage to give it a whirl and make sure I've still got it. 

We think about the first year we had a new baby cousin to add the mix-- A little girl!
 I was always outnumbered 3-1, forcing me to be a spy or a cowboy for most of my life. (You'll never hear me complain about that, though. It made me tough.) Even though there's an age gap between the four older cousins and the two littles, we are proudly equal girls vs. boys. We spend holidays playing Barbies and dress up now. Occasionally, we introduce the little girls to our old games that we played when we were there age. Younger cousins bring new energy (and new toys!) to family gatherings.


We're all older now. We have changed.
We have jobs. We no longer play spies in the backyard.
But we still somehow manage to laugh at the same things. 
We still crack up when we watch the movie ELF.
And we still sit at the "kid table."

I have so many great holiday memories with my family and beloved cousins. 
Though we have aged, we are still the same at heart. 

I'm grateful for a family that loves each other and gets along. 
I'm blessed that we are healthy and able to meet for holiday's.
I love my Hallmark-esque family Christmas time. 
I cherish the Christmas Eve candle light service we attend as a family.
(I still laugh when I think about Grandpa catching his program on fire!)

I hope your Christmas season is full of tremendous blessing. 
Don't get wrapped up in the gifts, and focus on the greatest gift of all.
I pray you rejoice in the fact that Christ sent his son to earth.
Share that same love of Christ with others this season.


And remember...
Growing up doesn't mean giving up my childhood memories.
Or giving up on Santa.
Or my spot at the "kid table."
Especially at Christmas time. 











Comments

Popular Posts