Traveling.


Traveling the world can be quite a task. There are many preparations to be made, maps to look at, and finding the one perfect arrangement that will allow all the suitcases to fit snugly in the trunk.

There are three different types of people I travel with. 
Each with a suitcase full of clothes, a heart passionate about seeing new things, and certainly unique in their own way.


My Grandpa, Max:
Avoid the interstate. Take the scenic back roads with the least amount of people. No rush. No hurry. What's the point of getting to the destination if you didn't enjoy the journey and stop at least once for ice cream? And, again, avoid the interstate. At all costs.

My Brother, Tanner:
Find the most efficient, quickest route. If you can shave 3 minutes off your time by taking a road that avoids a stop light, don't hesitate to do it. But here's the catch: Let's not take a road we've ever been on before to change up the scenery. If we encounter road construction, we'll recalculate our options. Oh, did I mention there are no gas stations to use the restroom at between here and there? My bad. Hold it-- We're getting there 3 minutes quicker anyways.

My Dad, Todd: 
I have planned the trip for us. We will leave at this hour, and will arrive at the destination at this time. We'll drive on the interstate and roads we know well so we don't get lost. And I have already bookmarked a barbecue place we should stop at on Thursday. You're really going to love it.


It's funny to me that three people can have such different ways of doing things, yet I find bits of all of these characteristics in myself. 


I want to get there quick. I want the drive to be pretty. I want to know what time we will get there. I want to be able to stop and go to the bathroom at my leisure and not worry about the time. And I want to bookmark all of the good ice cream shops along the way. Really, I'm not a navigator. I don't want to sit shotgun and read the map. I don't want to plan the route and find alternate pathways in case of construction. I don't want to tell the driver to exit up here, and turn left at the next stoplight. 

My way of traveling is a bit contradictory. But I'm still figuring it out. 
I'm usually just along for the ride. 


None of these are necessarily the right way to travel. 
And none of these are wrong. 


Here's the deal: I beg you to travel. I don't care how you go about it, or where you go, but just go. If I could pack my bag (which I always tend to over-pack..) and go, I would do it in an instant. I love the feeling you get when you are away from normal life in the normal town. 

Traveling takes you out of your comfort zone, and forces you to truly just go with the flow. 

Sure, I've slept in creepy hotels. I've eaten bad food. I've met rude people. I've had close encounters with death in a bad Jeep rental. I've sat in road construction for hours. I've gotten majorly car sick. 

But I know which gas stations have the best Pepsi. 
I know that Comfort Inn provides free continental breakfast. I know that I take entirely way too many pictures. I know the ins and outs of being a National Park traveler. I know that I can't resist wading in a river, no matter how cold it is. I know that if you are deciding whether or not you need a rain jacket, you probably do. I know to pack a Nature Valley Peanut Butter bar when you are hiking to the Delicate Arch. I know that having a swimsuit with you is never a bad idea. I know Chacos are my shoes of choice when I'm walking around downtown Crested Butte. I know that wearing two pairs of socks when skiing is totally necessary. I know that I can't pass up a good art museum. I know I also can't pass up brick-oven pizza. And I know that you most definitely need a walking stick when hiking the Narrows at Zion National Park. 

The good things you encounter when on an adventure outweigh the bad.
The confidence you gain, the memories you make, and the sights you see are worth every bad experience.

My heart aches for the mountains I have yet to climb, and the rivers I've yet to cross.

John Muir, a great naturalist and National Park advocate, truly saw the world for all it had to offer. 
He once said, "The mountains are calling and I must go..."

If they are calling you, why not pack your bag?
Take a hike, and watch the sun greet the mountains as it rises. 
Feel the cool, crisp mountain air in your lungs.
Find the sense of adventure you've been given.

So whether you are a planner, an interstate avoider, or a get their quick sort of person... pack your bag and go somewhere!
There's a big world out there waiting to be explored. It's waiting for you

There are many mountains to climb, canyons to cross, oceans to swim, roads to bike, halls to dance, food to taste, sunsets to chase, and miles to go. 



Comments

Popular Posts