Stepping Stones.



At the end of each school year, my family would take a trip to Hobby Lobby. My brother and I would each get to pick out a stepping-stone from the garden section for teachers’ end of the year gift. I remember very vividly taking their interests and favorite colors into consideration when selecting the stone. I took it to heart because I truly wanted my teachers to love the stone. I wanted them to remember me each time they saw the stone sitting in their garden.

As a kid, the stepping-stone was a simple token of gratitude for putting up with me for an entire school year. It had no symbolism. It didn’t have any deep meanings. It was a rock to put in their flowerbed.

Now, I see it differently. Each of the teachers in my life played a part in shaping the person I am today. They taught me to read. They taught me respect. They showed me how to multiply. They gave me a love of literature. They explained America, and the basis upon which it was founded. They allowed me to explore my talents. They provided a safe learning environment in which I was able to flourish and fostered my love of learning.

They were my stepping-stones.

My Elementary teachers—Ms. Gage-Baxter, Mrs. Sterba, Mrs. Holland, Mrs. Logan, Mrs. Belanger, and Mrs. Moses—are the reasons I reached for my dreams, and followed in their footsteps back to the Elementary classroom. My teachers were always quick to encourage me, and share a loving smile. They wanted me to learn more than just what the textbooks had to offer. They wanted to teach me all of the virtues I would need to succeed in life.

It’s more than just learning to write in cursive.
It’s more than how fast you can recite your multiplication facts.
It’s more than how sharp your 24-pack of Crayola Crayons are.
It’s more than how many Bonus spelling words you can spell each week.

It’s about “Yes Ma’am,” and “No Sir.”
It’s about learning to respect one another despite of our differences.
It’s about believing in yourself.
It’s about learning life.

In fourth grade, one of my classmates passed away over Christmas break. It was very devastating to return to class in January with sadness looming. My wonderful teacher made sure each of us were okay, and we all shared memories of Michael with one another. Though I was just a fourth grader, it was the first experience with "death" I had encountered. It was a hard loss-- one that I'll never forget-- but my teacher modeled a covetable strength that I was able to follow. I grew from her example, and think back to some of those hard moments even now. 

A good teacher teaches Math, English, Science, and Social Studies. 
A great teacher gives the students a sense of strength and self-respect, and the ability to overcome any obstacle placed in front of them. A great teacher loves unconditionally, and instills a passion for learning in each individual mind that walks through the door. 

Teaching is about becoming the stepping-stone our students need in order to achieve all that they can. Whether they need to take a leap of faith to be pushed to their full potential or a step within their reach with much encouragement, I will be there. I’ll be the stone in their garden.

I'm beyond grateful for the wonderful teachers I had growing up. I was extremely blessed by each and every one of them. To this day, it makes me smile to remember all of the fun read-aloud books my teachers read and all of the cool activities we did. I hope I'm as "cool" as them. 

As I begin my journey as a teacher, my hope is that I will be able to touch the lives of my students like the teachers in my life. When my future students look back on their elementary experiences, just as I do, and I want them to say, “She cared about me.”


So, Thank You teachers. 
Thanks for loving to teach and loving me. 

I truly do want to be just like you when I "grow up."


Comments

Popular Posts