Trees.


It's been a year now since my boyfriend's family and their home were in the direct path of what would be considered the "largest tornado in history." 

I'll never in my life forget the feeling I had as I watched the news that evening. I knew in my heart that Jake's family's home was in the path of the tornado, if it continued as it had been. I stood there, at a wedding of all places, completely helpless. There was nothing I could do to prevent the storm from happening, nor could I seem to just move the tornado's path two miles to the south. I watched and waited patiently, in hopes of hearing that the storm had somehow lifted before reaching their house. 


Thankfully, his family was safe inside their storm shelter with their beloved dachshund as the tornado passed overhead. Many people lost everything, including loved ones, in this dreadful storm. We are so beyond blessed that Jake and his family were fortunate enough to have only minor damage, that pales in comparison to the loss of life. To this day, it completely baffles me how their house was spared in the storm. I am forever grateful for their safety.


Because of major flooding, we were unable to get to the house that evening. The next morning, Jake and I were finally able to get to his family. As we drove up, the property was unrecognizable. Their house was miraculously left untouched. However, the once beautiful trees that surrounded their home were turned into a mangled mess. 


Massive trees were completely uprooted and laying on their side. Fifty year old trees seemingly tipped over from where they once stood tall. Tree roots completely exposed, after being ripped from the soil. Branches the size of large vehicles covered the yard. There were piles of tree limbs that looked as if a giant had played a game of "pick-up-sticks." It was a twisted and tangled web of absolute chaos. The immense destruction was hard to wrap your mind around. Viewing the damage on a screen is one thing, but seeing it firsthand is overwhelming.  Tears began to fall down my cheeks. 


As I sat there in the truck crying, Jake stared at me with a look I'll never forget. Before I could make a case for my tears, he said words that sank deep inside my heart and allowed me to face the trials of life in a different way. 




"They are just trees."

He was right, and I knew it. 

In the midst of all the destruction, I had forgotten the reason we were here.
His family was safe. He was safe. I was safe. 
And that was truly all that mattered. 

The trees will grow back. 

Sure, it will take time. But, everything takes time. 

One thing that I've had to keep in mind on this journey is that we cannot be upset because things "aren't the way they used to be." 
It will never be the same again. The trees may grow back, but not the was that they once were. It will be different. 
This summer is already proven to be different than last because the shade trees no longer hide the sun from shining brightly in the west-facing kitchen window. The front yard is covered in stumps, constantly reminding them of the tall trees that once stood in that place. You can tell just by looking that many of the trees have missing pieces. Gaping holes where limbs once were. It might not ever look the same as it once did, but it will come pretty close. 


"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past 
are certain to miss the future." - President John F. Kennedy

Things change. Praise the Lord for that. 

The trees were stripped of their limbs and tangled into a pile of twigs. Now, new limbs can grow in their place. If we constantly talk about the trees that once stood in the front yard, we will miss the new ones that are growing in the back yard. We cannot become so consumed with the ideas of the past that we forget to be thankful for the gifts of the present. 

Never lose sight of what is important. 

With the help of others, the trees were pruned and repaired in order for them to begin growing again. The trees couldn't have done it by themselves. Sometimes all it takes is a little assistance from someone else to get back up and begin again. Don't think of needing help as admitting defeat. Think of it as teamwork. 

 Had we not had the help of others, we would probably still be dragging tree limbs behind the tractor. The amount of people that came to offer their time was overwhelming. With a grateful heart, we worked alongside those warriors gathering up sticks and debris that littered the yard. 


The storms of life will come. It's inevitable. 
You have the choice of how to react when one hits you. You can let it alter your every move, and give up. You can complain and cry about the turmoil. You can bring others down with your negative life-draining attitude.
 Or you can be like the trees. 

They are resilient. They are strong. 
They can withstand strong winds, heavy rain, and a lot of pressure. 
They can be broken, but they make one memorable resurgence. 


The trees grew back. 


















Comments

Popular Posts