An Open Letter to Teachers Everywhere.




Dear Teacher, 

I write this letter, as an upcoming teacher, who is just about to finish up an education degree within the next couple of months. I'll be searching for jobs, post-graduation in May, and look forward to having my own classroom next year. Throughout my college career, I have received very little positive encouragement from people, and a whole lot of discouragement. For someone who comes from a family of teachers, this is really upsetting to me. I can't believe someone would speak so derogatively to a student who is just starting out in this rewarding, and absolutely crucial profession. It's disheartening, really.

I write this out of total respect to you. 

I whole-heartedly, 100% appreciate all that you have done and will do.

Thank you for teaching. 

But I do have some things that I need you to know. Hear me out. Please.

Don't discourage me. I know times are hard. Things are different. Tests reign supreme and the freedom of a lesson plan has been slowly taken away. The pay is low, but the stress is high. You spend your free time grading papers, and writing tests that you will inevitably have to grade, as well. Expectations are outrageous, and you will never be able to please anyone. I know it. You don't have to remind me. 

Don't tell me that I should get out while I can. Don't act like I'm naive to the "way kids are." Don't tell me that if you could go back you'd never become a teacher. At one point, the desire was there. You wanted to teach, and you were happy doing it. Don't take that away from me, just because things haven't gone as you once planned. 

There's a nation-wide teacher shortage. People simply don't want to teach anymore. Schools are suffering. More importantly, students are suffering. 
According to DoSomething.org, Teacher quality is one of the most significant factors related to student achievement. In the US, 14 percent of new teachers resign by the end of their first year. 33 percent leave within their first 3 years. And almost 50 percent leave by their 5th year. 

How do you plan on finding quality teachers to hire when you're scaring off the small amount that come your way? Why would you tell me to go in a different direction, when America is in desperate need of education? 

If I don't, then who will?

The comments may seem like nothing to you, but they haunt me. They keep me up at night, and make me question whether being a teacher is worth it. Then, I think about my family. I come from teachers. My dad has a B.S.Ed. in Mathematics Education, and a M.Ed in Administration. My dad's two brothers have the same. One of them is a high school Geometry teacher, and the other teaches in the Department of Education at a University and is working on his doctoral degree. After being a third grade teacher for many years, my aunt now has her Ph.D in Education and is the chair of a University Department of Education and teaches several classes there. My mom has her M.B.A., yet chooses to be a teacher's assistant in a Pre-K class. My mom's sister has a B.S.Ed. in Mathematics Education, and a M.Ed in Administration. She is an Assistant Principal at a large school, and has been for many years. My grandma taught Kindergarten from the time she graduated college until she retired. My grandpa was an Elementary Principal until retirement. My great-grandma had a M.Ed, and was a third grade teacher for years and years. I don't have to question whether becoming a teacher is worth it. I know it is, because my family has shown me the countless rewards of becoming an educator. They have also allowed me to see that the positives outweigh the negatives, when you truly think about it. 

I know it will be tough. I know that the kids will make me want to pull my hair out. I know that the state has put major importance on testing. I know that I will spend my paycheck on school supplies. I know that bond issues wont be passed. I know that my books will get torn up. I know I will leave my classroom in tears somedays. I know that my students will behave poorly when I'm being evaluated. I know that I'll have recess duty in the snow. I know that I'll have to get to school early, and stay late. I know that my students will inevitably call me nasty names. I know that exhaustion will set in. 
I know that some days teaching will be hard. 

still want to be a teacher.

I didn't choose this path because I thought it would be fun, or easy. I picked it because I was passionate about education. I understand there will be highs and lows, but that comes with any occupation. Life throws curveballs, but you have to learn to swing sooner or later. It's going to take some time. It's going to take some tears, and some phone calls to mom and dad. 
It will be worth it, though. 

It will be worth it. 

I know you think you're trying to help. I know that you think you're doing me a favor. I know you think I don't understand what I'm getting myself in to.

But, I signed up for a reason. 

I signed up because I believe I can make a difference. I believe that teachers have a rare opportunity to help change the world, through the lives of their students. I believe that a teacher is often times the only person that cares in a child's life. I believe that a teacher can positively impact the students that come through their classroom. I believe that a teacher has the ability to shape the way our students treat one another. I believe that a teacher can guide a student down a path towards the positive future. I believe a teacher provides a child with the educational framework they need to become doctors, artists, lawyers, pilots, musicians, historians, chemists, business owners, and hopefully teachers. I truly believe that becoming a teacher is one the most important jobs you can have. 

Don't take this away from me quite yet. 
Let me find out on my own. 

Sincerely,
Taylor



Comments

  1. Taylor,
    Atta girl. You know in your heart that you want to teach. I am so very proud of you for taking this stand and speaking your mind to those who discourage you. Go make a difference. Remember, "Somebody needs you. On your worst day on the job, you are still some child's best hope." Larry Bell
    Bruce Belanger

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts