Cousins.




“Ready… Go!”

At that moment all 6 of us took a big gulp of air, and began to hold our breath. With puffed out cheeks, I glanced around the car and watched as the others fidgeted in their seats.  I watched as our car drove slowly over the long bridge that led to the family barn. I saw the dry riverbed below, and the trees that were beginning to drop their autumn leaves. It’s a family tradition to hold our breath as we drive over a bridge. I’m not sure if other families participate, but for us, it’s customary. (We also stamp our hands when we see a white horse, but I’m fairly certain no one else in the world does that.)

6 blonde headed kids, riding in one car, holding their breath. It was a sight to see, for sure. I was sitting in the back seat with my youngest cousin. Both she and I were cheating the game, and were silently breathing through our noses, while maintaining puffed out cheeks. The middle seat had a different strategy. They both sat with eyes closed. Their approach was more of a “maybe if I can’t see how much further I have, I will hold my breath longer.” The two siblings in the front seat were just trying to outlast the rest of the car. They knew that all they had to do was hold their breath for longer than the others. My oldest cousin, also the driver, was glancing in the rearview mirror. He saw that I was cheating, he saw the middle seat giving the game their all, and he saw that we were all having fun. We were enjoying one another’s company, and laughing hysterically while doing it.

Cousins are the best gifts I have been given.

I have been blessed with 6 of the greatest cousins on the planet. I’ve grown up with built-in best friends, because I have been raised in a family where no one understands you quite like your cousins do. As a kid, my cousins were who I wanted to invite over to my house to play. And as a young adult, my cousins are who I go to first when seeking advice.

My oldest cousin, Blaine, is 1 year and 3 months older than me. He's also 1 foot and 3 inches taller than me. He has been my protector, advice giver, and best friend since I was born. He is the mastermind behind most of what I did as a child, and the greatest film producer I know. When I passed out on top of a mountain, he offered me gatorade and gushers and cliff bars. He drives too recklessly on the wave runner, and always keeps me informed on the best music and movies of the year. Blaine and I were both up for Homecoming King and Queen our senior year of high school. Although he won and I didn't, I've never been so excited. It would've been awkward to kiss your cousin. 



Next would be Brady. Brady was quite the dancer as a small child, and the only kid I know that could name all of his cats after famous baseball players and get away with it. We have something in common that no one else understands-- our grades aren't as good as our siblings, and we also spent time in the principal's office growing up, and our siblings didn't. Our family likes to bring up our rebellious history around the dinner table at Thanksgiving. Brady texts me every single time ELF is on TV. Every time. "Bye Buddy! Hope you find your dad!"




Austin is my cousin that grew up a miles away from me. Born in Minnesota, moved to Illinois, moved to Tennessee, moved to Texas, and then to New Mexico. He is my fellow nerd. We enjoy discussing JRR Tolkien, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter. Though we've lived apart all of our lives, each time we're together seems as though we've never been apart. Austin is the only person I know that adds milk to his fountain drinks. He is very musically inclined, and he makes car sing-a-longs so much fun. 




Ashton has also grown up miles away, yet has always been one of my closest friends. When Ash and I are together, opera singing commences. We share a love of mystery trips, have hiked the Utah mountains and deserts together, and appreciate discussions about American history. Ashton was apart of my favorite day. Last Christmas, my family went to Branson. We spent one afternoon at Silver Dollar City and it started to snow. This wasn't like any other snow. It's the fluffy kind that stays on your nose and eyelashes-- the kind I'm positive Maria refers to as one of her favorite things in The Sound of Music. We twirled and watched as the snow fell to the ground as a beautiful blanket. That evening, we watched Les Miserables in theaters, then finished our day with a Dorito taco from Taco Bell. I know it doesn't seem like the best day ever, but it was... And Ashton helped in making that day great. 




I was the only girl on my dad's side of the family for years. Then, when I was in middle school, two sweet girls came into the family. Audrey and Evann are my two youngest cousins. They make family get-togethers so much more fun. Audrey, the older of the two, is sweet and kind. She has a big heart for people, and loves to read. She always has jokes for us to laugh at, and is quite the artist. Evann, my youngest cousin, is hilarious. She loves monkeys, playing dress up, and occasionally pretends to be shy. Evann loves to make people laugh, and keeps everyone in line. While on a family vacation in Colorado a few years ago, we went on a Jeep ride through the mountains. Audrey was close behind the boys, running, jumping, and climbing on top of things. Evann and I soon got tired of all the adventure, and decided to stay in the Jeep and watch movies on our ipod, while wrapped in a blanket. That was when I realized that Evann was my mini-me, and we also had the same short blonde bobbed haircut. I have loved being their older cousin, and I'm so thankful that I have got to watch them grow up. 




As you can see, I love my cousins. Every single one. I grew up with the mindset that everyone had cousins just like mine. As I've gotten older, I realized that very few people get to spend as much time with their cousins as I do, or get along with their cousins. (Or even have cousins! I have a friend whose both parents are only-children, and she has no cousins.)



With the Holiday season upon us, I'm reminded how grateful I am for the family that I've been given. I'm thankful for the love and support I've always received, as well as all of the laughs they have given. 



Most importantly, I'm thankful for family traditions, like holding our breath as we go across the bridge. 






Comments

Popular Posts