Bulldogs, Bison & a Bride.


I don't remember meeting Bonnie. I've just always known her. I mean, I'm sure if I could remember, it would've gone something like this:


"Hi, I'm Taylor." 
"HI I'M BONNIE AND WE WILL BE BEST FRIENDS! OKAY?" 
"Okay."

And, just like that, our friendship began. I began this blog in my head a couple of weeks ago while we sat at lunch and chatted. I'm sure she was telling me a story about life, but all I could think about was how this won't be happening anymore after this semester. Bonnie will be moving to do her student teaching, and then after graduating from college, she'll be getting married. 

Growing up is weird. It's not bad, but it sometimes makes you cry. 

Bonnie and I went to church together from the time we were little. We always talked too loud during Sunday School, and sang solos during children's choir. I remember when Bonnie told our class that she wouldn't be going to middle school with us. Her parents were going to teach at another nearby school, and she would be going with them. She would give up being an Eagle to become a Bison. It was weird at first, but I still saw her every Sunday. She would tell us all of her Bison drama, and we would listen, as if it was our weekly soap opera. She taught me all of her Bison cheers, and the motions that went with them. For a while, I was certain I could've made the Bison Junior High cheer squad.

While Bonnie was a Bison, something happened that I will never ever forget. Her daddy passed away. I remember going to church as an 8th grader, and this man telling me the news. I began to cry. I cried during the service. I cried during family lunch. My mom reassured me that Bonnie would be okay. She told me that Bonnie was strong, and that I would just need to be a good friend to her. Bonnie was amazing through it all, and to this day, I look up to her for her strength during a time of suffering. 

Bonnie rejoined my class the following year and became an Eagle, once again, for high school. She was my classmate once again, and I couldn't have been happier. 5 facts you need to know about her high school career: 
1. Bonnie was in Show Choir with me. Her parter once ripped his pants while dipping her during a dance. 
2. She was the school mascot for a while and was voted "Most Spirited" in my senior class. 
3. She once got sprayed by a skunk, and everyone made fun of her. She cried, and I gave her skunk-smelling body a hug. 
4. Bonnie broke her arm at church camp while playing a strange game because a kid fell on her. She had to wear a green cast for the remainder of the summer. I helped her wrap her arm in a plastic bag and duct tape, so she could swim and shower. 
5. Bonnie walked with a cane for several months after her hip surgery. Adventures with Bonnie are different than adventures with others. She adds a whole different meaning to the term laugh out loud.

Then, we graduated from high school. Most of our close friends went away for college, but Bonnie and I stayed and became Bulldogs. Each of us decided to pursue degrees in Elementary Education, so we have had many classes together. We, once again, talked too loud during class and giggled when our teachers talked. We made videos reenacting The Velveteen Rabbit. We took a music class and learned to play the recorder. (If anyone is hosting an event and is in need of entertainment, we have a great rendition of "Old MacDonald Had A Farm" that we'd love to play. We also have a great show choir dance to "Getcha Head in the Game" from High School Musical that I'm sure we'd love to perform, as well.) College was different than high school. On top of classes, we added break-ups, a wedding during a tornado, and engagements. I'm thankful we continued our friendship. Very few people would understand my love of cats or why I know every word to the song "Jump On It" like Bonnie does. 

Bonnie is getting married this summer. I can't wait to see her walk down the aisle to her daddy's song, and marry the boy she loves. After graduation, she'll begin her career as a teacher and a wife. I will graduate with a degree in Elementary Education, and then move away to pursue a graduate degree. It will be hard to leave the town I have loved for 20 years and all of my friends. I will no longer see Bonnie as a walk to class. She won't be a phone call away, or my go-to lunch date. We won't be able to play dress up, or laugh about strange classmates we used to have. Life will change dramatically after this summer. 

When we were in Show Choir together, we would sing "My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean" as a warm up song. Our teacher would have us stand up and sit down each time we sang a word that began with a "B." It became quite the work out during the line "Bring back my Bonny to me." It was a hysterical sight to see all the kids frantically standing up and sitting down. I always watched Bonnie as we sang the song. Her face lit up with a smile, as if we were singing the song directly to her. 

As we "grow up" and live life, I will always think of how she smiled during that song. It was genuine happiness. That's something that has brought so much joy to my life about Bonnie. She always finds a way to put a smile on your face, even during the sad times. I'm thankful the Lord put her in my life long ago to have as a friend. We've walked through good times and bad times together, but I'm grateful to have such a strong role model. 

I'll say it once again: growing up is weird. It's weird to see your childhood friends get married. It's weird to think that we'll all be getting real jobs soon, and children aren't that far off in the future. Growing up is weird, but it's also refreshing. It's nice to see all that you've accomplished, and all of the people that have helped you get there. I'm certain that the adventures I had with Bonnie helped make me who I am today. Eventually when I have kids, I will tell my children of all the things Bonnie and I did together. They probably won't believe me, but I'll know they are true. 











Comments

Popular Posts