Footprints.




I had been walking through what seemed like a desert for several minutes now. The sun was beating down, making my cheeks turn rosy and increasing my need for water. The sandals I had on exposed my toes, caking sand between them. Sand blew in my face, yet I didn’t feel a breeze. There was virtually no relief from the heat. As I walked, I hoped that over the next hill would be a large body of water—a nice cool lake, or a swiftly moving river. However, neither the lake, nor the river ever seemed to show up. Instead, there was only more sand.

I was in Utah. Moab, Utah to be exact-- home of "Arches National Park." We had been on several hikes over the past few days, and I was exhausted. I often wondered if these long grueling hikes were worth it, then I'd make it to my destination, and a breathtaking view awaited me. A beautiful arch, intricately carved out of sandstone, looking so fragile as it sits perched upon another rock. It was striking how beautiful a rock could be. I mean, I have rocks in my backyard and never consider them to be amazing. These rocks were different, though. They were extraordinary-- Pure Geological Awesomeness. I watched as all of the tourists, like myself, stood in awe of the sight. They fumbled for their high dollar cameras, and begin to click away.

Click. Click. Click, click.

Pictures of rocks. Pictures of you. Pictures of you in front of rocks. Picture, after picture, after picture.

Trying to capture the beauty, so that you might be able to prove to someone back home how remarkable your vacation was. Then, just like that, it was time to go.

As we turned back, I followed my dad closely, trying to step in the exact footprint that his shoe made. He knew where he was going, and I didn’t have even the slightest idea to where I even was on a map. I made sure not to stray from marks he left in the sand. I looked back at the prints. I could see where my smaller print fit right inside his, almost perfectly. He knew I was following close behind, and would warn me if he encountered an obstacle in the path. I followed his footprints because I trusted him. I trusted him, not only because he was my dad, but also because he had been here. He had walked here before. He knew the trail, and could navigate the way much better than if I attempted it myself. I trusted that he would lead me somewhere great... or at least back to our air conditioned car so we could look at the pictures we just took.


I walked close behind, and drank my water. My head begin to think about all of the footprints I could see below my feet. Some were following the same path that my dad and I were. Some, were veering off the path, into the brush forging new trails. I continued walking along, and continued watching the prints in the sand. Some walked a ways by themselves, and then turned back around and join the others. I was impressed by the footprints in the sand, because they were the perfect parallel to my life. 



Like in life... Do we choose to follow the footprints of those before us, or do we get off the trail and leave our own? There are times when both are necessary. At the moment, I was a follower. I was unsure, and new to the vast desert landscape. I had to learn from others around me where to go, and how to get there. Next time I visit Utah, I won't have to follow as much. I will know the course laid before me, and be able to walk with my head held high, but as for now, I was simply learning and following. 


Some of the prints I watched veer off the trail probably belonged to very experienced hikers. Had I followed their prints, I'm sure they lead to breathtaking views of new beautiful sights. They didn't need to follow others, because they were confident in their experiences and had the courage to pursue a trail that no one had taken before. 



Now, the prints that went a ways and turned back did not lead to greatness. They walked a while on their own, but became unsure of their destination and came back to join the crowd. Maybe they were on a trail to somewhere neat, but didn't have the courage to follow their heart and, instead, turned back around. Or maybe they got halfway, and realized it was a bad idea. They were unexperienced, and lost. They needed guidance from someone who had been there before. 


So, let me leave you with this: 
We all follow prints, and in the same way, we are all leaving prints. 

Are your footprints worth following? Would you mind if others were following close behind you? Consider the example you are leaving right now. Whether you want it or not, someone is following in your footsteps. Make sure that you are being a good trail-leader. Yes, you will mess up, and you might even have to turn around, but that's life! You can't walk somewhere and not leave prints. Your footsteps are the most important things you leave behind. The sweet children's novel Sarah, Plain and Tall says it best, "The past steps on the heels of the present, whether you want it to or not." Your footprints define where you have been, and determine where you are going. 


Secondly, are the footprints you currently follow truly worth following? Are they leading you to a scenic view? Or to something simply sub-par? Take the trail that is going to lead you to an awesome sunset. Sure, there will be bang-ups and hang-ups along the way, but the view will be worth it in the end. There are always great photo opportunities at the end of these trails. 



Or, are the footprints you're following leading you to a dead end trail? No one wants to turn around in life, but it's always much much easier to turn around early on, then continue on a journey to nowhere. Trust me, you know when you are following these prints. Things begin to get dark, the trail gets muddy, and your heart begins to beat fast. Get off that trail. There's no reason to follow those prints anymore. Sometimes the destination of these trails appear to be very appealing, yet are simply a mirage in the desert.



Are you even following footprints at all? You don't have to follow that trail anymore. Stop right now, eat a granola bar, and then hike back to civilization. Sometimes trying to figure things out on your own is the worst thing you can possibly do. You are not alone. Help is nearby, and will make sure you make it back to where you need to be. 



Life is the greatest adventure you will ever go on. I beg you to hit the trail, grab your camera, and give it your all. 
















Comments

Popular Posts