Backpack.





It’s sitting on the floor next to my dining room table. Next to it lies a pair of shoes, a spiral notebook and a purse. That’s where it stays whenever I’m not toting it around with me. It’s pink—not light baby pink, but not hot, highlighter pink—just a good-looking pink. I bought it on sale at Marshall’s a week after I graduated for $19.99. When I took it home with me, it had no idea what I had in store for it’s precious little self. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm talking about my backpack.

            It’s first week with me I stuffed it full of all the things I would need for my last time as a camper at Super Summer. It carried my Bible, my straightener, a pair of sandals, my make-up, a can of Big Sexy Hair, a stylish floral umbrella, and a container of Goldfish Crackers. Me and “pack-pack,” a term coined from my small child cousin, set out for a great week at OBU. The first evening of camp Abby and I were visiting her mom, who happened to be the camp nurse, in her office. Susan told us that it was fixing to rain and that we should head back to our dorm. Abby and I, being the extremely smart girls that we are, decided we’d stay a little longer and chat with Susan. Soon, we heard thunder and heard the camp director telling us to get to the dorm. Abby and I were being forced to RUN. In the rain. Across a busy 4 lane street. Back to the dorm. I remembered that I had an umbrella in my backpack, I pulled it out and opened it up. I, not wanting to get my backpack and all of its contents wet, put my backpack on forwards so I could protect it with my floral umbrella. Then Abby and I took off running, faster than I can ever remember running in my life. After making it back, I find that my poor pink backpack was soaked. I hadn’t protected it well enough. I was so scared. I knew my Bible would be ruined… But it wasn’t. My backpack had protected what was inside it! That was our first encounter together, and from that day on, I knew Pack-Pack and I would be very close.

            It was an extremely hot day in July. I was visiting a friend at Falls Creek, and was at the Rec. Fields watching some volleyball. Earlier that morning, I had found out my AP English test score and was too nervous to eat a Chic-fil-A lunch with my mom. So, back to the Volleyball game… I began to get hot. Like, not really “sweating hot”… like “I’m extremely miserable hot.” I told my mom I didn’t feel well, so we were going to go back to the cabin. While we were walking, I thought the world was ending. It wasn’t literally ending, it was just me blacking out, then passing out in front of a very large group of people. As I lay in the dirt, my backpack acted as a pillow for my head. After I came back to life, I realized I was completely coated in dirt. I knew my backpack would be disgustingly dirty and I’d have to wash it when I got home, but when I looked it over, it looked brand-new!

            A few weeks later, my backpack accompanied me on my first plane ride. It was my carry on item, and was once again, stuffed full of my precious belongings. We survived the 6am plane ride to Houston, the short layover there, then the flight to Cozumel. Backpack and I had a nice vacation. We got rained on again while we were on a jeep ride, and by “rained on” I mean “monsooned on.” We didn’t get too wet, though. The real test was on the way home. I was very anxious to be home, and when I’m anxious about something, I tend to be cranky. The Cozumel airport was more like a holding tank for drunks, which sent me over the edge. Our plane arrived a little late, then while flying from Cozumel to Houston, the Houston airport decided not to accept any flights for a while. So we stalled in the air over the ocean for at least 35 minutes. (Not a great thing for a cranky girl who has never really flown before…) My backpack and I finally landed at Houston, went through a very stressful line of Customs, looked at the time, and our connecting flight to OKC left in 7 minutes. So the entire Boyd Clan sprinted through the Houston Airport. My cranky self was starving and the smell of Panda Express was only making me crankier. We board the plane, (I should say “extremely small aircraft”) and there is a small boy in the seat behind me. I soon learned his name was David. David was 3, and was just as cranky as I was. Needless to say, it was not a fun trip home. After FINALLY arriving in OKC, I grabbed my backpack and was just ready to be home. We stood and watched as the luggage carousel brought each one of my family member’s their luggage. Except mine. Come to find out, my brown suitcase did not make the connecting flight. The long day just got longer. Luckily, during the whole process of locating my suitcase and then waiting 2 hours for it to come meet up with me, I had my pink backpack to hold on my lap and cry in to, and I was very thankful I had it.

            2 weeks later, my backpack and I started college. We moved into the dorm, bought books, made new friends, and enjoyed our first year of college. I stuffed it full of books, binders, and shoes every day. We had great times in the Admissions & Recruitment Office each day. My backpack accompanied me to my Geology class that stressed me out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My backpack endured the miserable hour and a half of Literature each Tuesday and Thursday. It was there when I had a rough day, and would sit in my car and cry. My backpack went with me to friend’s houses and dorm rooms to study, and then sat there as I built friendships. My backpack enjoyed movie nights with me and my boyfriend where we would watch “Horton Hears a Who” and “Elf.” It was around when I wished everything would just go back to the way it used to be, before I was “grown up.” Each Monday night, my backpack got to sit through President’s Leadership Class, then got to go eat with the “PLC family.” We enjoyed our first year as a college student and her backpack. As lame as it may sound, I’m glad I had such a great backpack to start college with.

            When summer started, my backpack probably thought it would get a break for a while, but of course I needed it to accompany me on all my adventures. Its first task was to get me through Super Summer as a Team Leader. I had seven precious going-to-be eighth graders who were searching for Truth. They each had a relationship with the Lord, but needed much encouragement. I had to be there for them. Not only did I have kids that were in need of my comfort, I had just been broken up with the week before. I needed comfort. With a very broken heart, I had to step up and be an example to them. I put all of my own selfish problems aside, and poured into my precious seven children. I allowed them to call me “Mom,” and give me hugs. (Something we all know I’m not too fond of.) I may have been emotionally unstable that week, but I was able to overcome that and lead a small group with the help of the Lord and some amazing friends. The Red 1 TL’s were quick to encourage me, and make sure I was okay. I needed that daily boost of confidence. You may ask what part my backpack played in this… Well, let me tell you. Inside it was an umbrella, an extra pair of shoes, a small container of Town House Whole Grain Crackers, chapstick, chewing gum, my camera, and a water bottle. All of these things went with me everywhere I went on the OBU campus. More importantly, it carried my Bible and notebook, 2 essential things that helped me grow and teach all week. It also had my sweatshirt. We all find comfort in strange ways, mine is to wear a sweatshirt. (Go ahead, call me weird. I like to feel cozy, okay?) There was also a bag of Jolly Ranchers that was necessary to bribe my kids to talk with. When you just finished seventh grade, you aren’t always comfortable to talk in front of others, but you’ll do anything for a piece of candy. The purpose of Super Summer is to strengthen your leadership skills. If you don’t speak all week, not much growth takes place. A cherry Jolly Rancher can sway an entire conversation. My backpack sat through each family group, each meal in the cafeteria, each Red 1 TL nap session in the Geiger, and each worship service in Raley Chapel. It was there when I made 2 new best friends… friends I’ve had for a long time, but didn’t become close to until Super Summer. It was there when I cried almost every night back in my dorm from all the stress. It was there when I realized how great my youth pastor is, and how thankful I am for his servant’s heart. It was there each time I met someone new. It was there when I said goodbye to my precious seven children and sent them off to be leaders in their own schools. It was there with me the whole time, and I couldn’t have made it through the week without it.

            My backpack goes to work with me every morning. My job means a lot to me. I get to meet someone new each day and show them how great SWOSU is. I get to work alongside 8 great student workers, all very strong Christians and my very best friends. To work, my backpack carries my Bible, my laptop, a book, my snack for the day, and the occasional box of markers for when I want to color.  It provides my entertainment for the day. This summer, my backpack has sat through many funny conversations, many fights with the shredder, many VAXed athletes, many irritating phone calls, and many hilarious email addresses. It has also been around for some serious conversations in the Student Office about God, about Faith and about Relationships. It hears all the plans Allison and I have made for our lives, all of the ranting that Lauren and I do, and the advice Jacob gives me and I give him.

My backpack continued its journey with me to Falls Creek. We ate many fried pies, drank many Icees, and watched many volleyball games. It was there when I grew very close to my dear friend Tiffany. We waited for an hour in the heat to get 22 soggy pizzas. My backpack and I sat on the deck for hours and just talked with students. It was there each time I got in trouble by a Falls Creek Staffer for going up to the cabin the wrong way. It heard Dutton and Jeff Johnson just as many times as I did. It was there for Date Night, and it was there when Brandon would give Tiff and I advice. It sat through worship services, and fun seat saving times with odd named churches. It was there for Middle School Girl drama, and for when precious Abby got sick. Pack-Pack was there when I awkwardly turned down Icee dates, and when I got hit on by seventh graders with Zeke. It sat through all of the hot volleyball games, and van rides. It was there for all of the inside jokes, and all of the Double Dream Hand’s. My backpack was with me when I had had enough and just needed to cry—it had Kleenex’s for me. It was with me each time I hiked down the mountain in my Chacos and a dress. It was with me the whole time.

I carry my backpack with me everywhere I go because I NEED it. It not only carries my personal belongings, but also memories. Memories of many fun times, and some sad. I’m aware that my pretty pink Pack-Pack doesn’t really hear me when I talk, but it does have human-like qualities. It brings comfort to me when I need it the most. It makes me feel like I’m not alone. It reminds me of the great times I’ve had, because of all the random treasures I find when I clean it out. It’s tough. It keeps my secrets by keeping my journal safe inside. It holds my Bible safe inside it for when I need a little reassurance. And in the outside pocket, it stores my notes for me. Notes of encouragement from many different people, from many different places.

I love my backpack. And you know what? I think it loves me back. It could have bit the dust a long time ago, but it’s still ready each time I’m headed out for another adventure. And for as much as I’ve put it through, it still looks brand new! Each time Pack-Pack and I embark on an adventure, we have no idea what is in store for us. That is where I am in life right now. I have no earthly idea what God has planned for me. Like my backpack trusts me, I will trust my Savior to keep me safe. I know that He has a great life planned for me, and I’m ready to follow Him!

I cannot wait to see where else my backpack and I are headed in life.


Comments

Popular Posts