First.

I contemplated what I would write about in my first blog post. I knew I wanted to write something that had great meaning that people would read and want to pass on to someone else.  Then I figured, what would be a better "first post" than to talk about firsts?

We've all had to do something new that we've never done before. Often times, we are scared of what that thing might hold for us-- it's the unknown. Sometimes, the fear is drowned out by the excitement about what's in store for us. Like the first time I was finally tall enough to ride a Roller Coaster. I had watched it make it's loops over and over. I had it's path memorized. I had even tried to ride once before, but was turned down because I didn't meet the height requirement. This time, I was ready. I followed my dad as he walked the long winding sidewalk that led to the ride's line. Excitement was running through me, until my dad and I were the next ones to get on the coaster. It was then the "fear of the first" struck me. Hundred's of reasons why I should't ride suddenly came to mind. I then remembered that if I didn't ride, I'd be so disappointed in myself-- so I climbed aboard the train-shaped cart and held on tight and I did it. I survived, and now I love roller coasters.

Or the first time I was a flower girl in a wedding. I was enthralled when I was asked to be in the wedding because I knew I would get to wear a new dress. When you are six, you know how important this job is, and that I had to be the best flower girl ever and not let the bride and groom down, so I practiced. I had the walk down, the basket holding down, the petal throwing down, and the smile down. Needless to say, I was ready. The day of the wedding finally came and I was wearing a precious white cupcake-like dress, white ballet flats, and had my hair perfectly curled. As I was stood in the back of the church behind the closed doors just before the wedding was about to start, nerves sank in. I was so afraid I was going to mess up, and ruin the wedding. Then, the music started and the nice lady cued me that it was my turn to walk. So I did, and though I don't remember much of the wedding, I believe I did just fine because I was asked to be one again. (Either that, or the couple that asked me the second time had no idea about how crazy I was prior to asking me)


How about the first day of high school? I was so excited, but at the same time, I was completely terrified. That's a tough feeling to explain. The night before the first day of school, I picked out my clothes that I would wear and cried a little because I was "growing up." I laid in bed and thought up every possible bad thing that could happen. Would I get lost in the new big school? Would I be swamped with homework on the first day? Were the Seniors really as mean as everyone had made them out to be? I finally fell asleep. The next morning I got ready, then got into my mom's van to head to school. Since I lived approximately 1 minute away from the high school, I had a very short time to freak out and recompose myself before I was dropped off. I guess I managed to do it quite well, because next thing I knew, I was standing outside of my new school with the biggest knot in my stomach ever. I don't want to sound like a Taylor Swift song, but I took a deep breath and walked in the doors. I saw a group of my friends standing in the hallway with the same "scared" look on their face, so I stood next to them.  I survived that day, and would eventually survive all four years at WHS.


The list could go on and on with somewhat humorous stories about the first time a friend and I drove to the Oklahoma City all by ourselves, or the first time I went to church camp, or even the first time I water skied, or the first time I passed out in public, but I won't bore you by just re-telling part of my life story.


I didn't realize how much "firsts" shape your life until I was typing this silly blog post. I laughed as I thought about how scared I was to begin something new, and how that would eventually be what made up, well, Me. I hope this sparked a memory or two in your own mind, and you pass that memory off to a friend or family member and let them share that moment with you.

Comments

Popular Posts